Toxins and Skin Problems

environmental toxins

Do you know what the largest organ in your body is? The answer may surprise you; it’s your skin! And being an organ, skin helps to rid the body of toxins. The more poisonous material your body needs to get rid of, the more load there is on other systems, such as the liver, kidneys, bowel and the lymphatic system. So the body will call on the skin to help do the job.

The result? Dull lifeless looking skin ☹ If you experience skin conditions like acne, rashes or dry and itchy skin, this could mean your body is under a toxic burden. Detoxing can make all the difference to the health of your body and your skin, since your skin is a barometer of your general health.

How do I know if my body is toxic?

Are you constantly feeling tired?

Toxic overload is one of the most common yet most overlooked causes of fatigue. Heavy metal toxicity in particular can drain our energy.

Maybe you’ve tried losing weight but those last stubborn pounds refuse to budge?

This could be because your body is storing fat-soluble toxins in the fat (adipose) tissues. It is a safe place to store toxic waste that it can’t dispose of in any other way.  The body will not release fat if it is serving a useful purpose.

Perhaps you have unexplained aches and pains?

Being toxic may cause peripheral neuropathy, commonly known as nerve pain. This condition can not only cause a burning pain, but it may also be experienced as tingling or numbness. Muscle pain can be another symptom of excess toxicity as can muscle wastage and joint pain. Sometimes this can be mis-diagnosed as arthritis.

Are you constipated?

The bowel plays an important part in the detoxing process. Constipation is thus slowing the elimination of waste matter. from the bowel.

Do you suffer from skin toxicity symptoms such as rashes, hives, red or itchy skin?

We’ve referred to this above. Because our skin is being used as an elimination channel, poisonous substances pass through the skin’s pores causing a multitude of skin problems.

Although all of the above may be unrelated, they could well mean your body is struggling under a toxic load.

Help! How do I get rid of these excess toxins?

The first and easiest way is to drink more water. This helps to flush out toxins via the kidneys.

Indulge in a sauna – this flushes toxins out via sweating. Always shower after a sauna to wash the impurities from your skin.

Exercise more. Yes it can be a drag, but exercise gets the blood circulating and stimulates the lymphatic system.

Take a probiotic supplement with food to help digestion. Or you can eat more fermented foods such as sauerkraut, tempeh and yogurt.

Eat clean. Select foods that come from nature. Avoid processed and junk foods.

Take liver supporting supplements. For example milk thistle, dandelion root tea and parsley.

Practice deep breathing a few times a day. Not only does this relax you, it helps expel toxins via the lungs. Deep breathing is also said to alkalize the body.

Brush your teeth thoroughly and floss to prevent build-up and decay. Don’t forget to brush your tongue too! Tooth decay can release toxins into the blood stream.

Taking chlorella daily can help your body expel heavy metals and other poisonous chemicals.

And last but not least, only use natural skin care products to your skin. Skin can easily absorb chemicals in traditional skincare. Look for products that are free from parabens, sulphates, fragrances, and phthalates. We are surrounded by toxic chemicals in our modern world, most of which we can’t control. However we CAN choose what we put on our skin.

5 Reasons to Switch to Natural Skin-Care

I love to browse the cosmetic sections in department stores. Just for a few moments I allow myself to be seduced by the promises of everlasting youth and firm dewy skin the products promote. I know for a fact that not one of them, not even the ones that sell for over $100.00 are going to make an ounce of difference to my skin long term.

Yes, they will look very pretty on my bathroom shelf! But if younger, healthy skin is my aim, I’d do better to head to the health food store. Here’s 5 reasons why…

Most commercially produced products are based on mineral oil; a by-product of petroleum. Mineral oil, also called paraffin oil, is a fairly harmless substance in itself. However it has a molecular structure that is too large to penetrate the pores of the skin. So it might prevent skin from drying out, as it blocks the escape of moisture, but that’s all it will ever do.

Mineral oil used in skin-care is usually ‘cosmetic’ grade, however there has been instances where hydrocarbons have been found in some cosmetics made with this oil. Fat samples have been taken from women that have shown contamination with hydrocarbons, most likely from the use of cosmetics. These things build up over time in fat cells, and could be part of the reason why some women find it hard to lose weight.

Why buy cosmetics made from mineral oil when they provide absolutely no benefit to your skin?

Commercial skin-care contains chemicals. We are always re-assured that the chemicals in our cosmetics are ‘safe’. That’s there are ‘only small amounts’ in each product, which are ‘insignificant’, and will not cause us harm. Who tells us this? Why those with a vested interest in selling commercial cosmetics of course!

The problem is, these chemicals are cumulative, and while some of them may be just irritating to the skin, other are are definitely dangerous. Lead, cadmium, manganese, and aluminum are examples of some metals found in make-up. These can be absorbed by the pores of the skin, and, in the case of lipstick, swallowed. If you use a skin whitening product, expect a heavy dose of mercury.

These metals are dangerous, because they occupy cell receptors in the body that are used by vital mineral, such as calcium and magnesium; effectively driving out these minerals. Heavy metal poisoning, together with lack of vital minerals, will weaken the immune system, leaving us at the mercy of diseases such as cancer. It’s just not worth the risk. We can’t do anything about toxins in the atmosphere, but we do have control over what we put on our skin.

Your money is going on the marketing and packaging. It’s not so much the fancy ingredients you’re paying for. In the case of expensive, brand-name, cosmetics, you’re paying for the TV and magazine ads as well. Add to that, the fancy jars and glossy cardboard packaging, and that’s a fair percentage of your hard earned dollars spent, even before you open the box.

Natural skin-care simply works better. Because it’s based on natural oils like coconut, or jojoba, any healing ingredients can penetrate further into the skin layers, where they can do the most good. I find coconut based products absorb particularly well, as do those based on jojoba oil. Olive oil tend to sit more on the skin’s surface, although it does contain anti-oxidants, and is good for sunburn. Make sure any oil blends you buy aren’t mixed with inferior carrier oils, such as vegetable oil.

Last but certainly not least, natural skin creams are not tested on animals. Even if they were, it would do no harm. A wise person once said, ‘If you can’t eat it, you shouldn’t put it on your face.’

Buy your natural cosmetics online or at the health store, and always check the labels. Not everything labelled ‘natural’, actually is. Be particularly aware of the preservatives used, and stay away from ‘Parabens‘, if you can. They are cheap preservatives that are found in almost everything! Happy hunting!